Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Next Day

Now that there has been a little bit of time for this to sink in and after talking with nearly everybody I know about it, I am starting to do some real research on the 2009 Carrera S's. I'm getting really familiar with Porsche's website and vehicle configurator. I'm reading all the reviews I can find on the car. It seems that 2009 is a good year to wait for in the 911 - Porsche has added 30 HP to the S (now 385hp), LED brake lights and daytime running lights, a number of other engine improvements, a modernization of the interior technology (touch-screen navigation, ipod / USB interface, etc.). It has the new PDK transmission, but I'll stick with the manual.

My first obstacle is picking a color. I like most of them - white, gray, yellow, green, brown, gold, etc. I just want to steer clear of silver and black. I've never been a black car guy (OK my 87 944 Turbo is black but that's my first one). I generally like green but the only 2009 green is basically a British Racing Green and I don't know if a Porsche can pull that off. The white is nice but I'm worried about keeping it clean, especially on the track (yes this car will end up on the track sooner rather than later) with black marks from flying rubber. I'm told... by some people... that the yellow would be too obnoxious, so that's out too. Right now I'm liking the Meteor Gray and the Macadamia Metallic, but I'm going to have to see these in person.

I'm still telling people the story over and over, so I decided to start this blog so I can tell the story once and anybody who cares can read along. I actually didn't start writing the blog until later after the announcement was officially made at the Porsche Parade on June 30. The reactions from people I tell have been great, everybody seems really excited about it. I know I have some rounds to make once I actually get the car.

Here is a graphic some guys at work made up for me, who are also fans of the TV show "Top Gear" like myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found that white was ok to try and keep clean on my BMZ Z3 and that it showed off the lines of the car nicely, but it is not your Porsche.
I won the Mazda miata this year fron Watkins Glen museums raffle and I found that the Copper Metallic with the tan interior was the best combo, even tho I had to spend extra for the combo. So you may want to try to set off the interior or the exterior with the opposite color. That worked nicely for me.