Thursday, July 24, 2008

Update and European Delivery

At this point my order has been placed with the Porsche factory, configured as specified in the last post. I did end up selecting the European Delivery option, so we will be traveling to Germany sometime most likely in October - the delivery date has yet to be determined. I figured this whole experience so far has been pretty incredible - winning a raffle for a Porsche 911 Carrera S, on my birthday no less - so I figure why not continue the experience. This should be a great story for the rest of my life.

I am currently working with the dealer to finalize some other paperwork and calculate the final numbers with PCA and Porsche Cars North America. Once that is complete, I will primarily be in a waiting stage until the car is built. In the meantime the only thing to do is to continue planning our trip to Europe. My wife and I didn't have passports so the first thing we did was get that paperwork submitted and expedited, as that information is needed for the tourist delivery option.

We have yet to get into any detailed plans, but I have a general idea of where we want to go. We won't be able to book any hotels or flights until there is a set date for the delivery. As I mentioned in the last post, we will be going South from Zuffenhausen, and will end up going through Switzerland, Italy, and France, and possibly Austria, Monaco and Liechtenstein. Here is a map of my preliminary route. Zoom almost all the way in on points D and E to see some of the fun. I don't want to go to any tourist traps, historical places, or do any sightseeing other than what we encounter on the roads. I want this to be a vacation of purely driving one of the best driving vehicles in the world on some of the best driving roads in the world, nothing else. I'm shooting for about 4 to 5 days of driving, on the road about 6 hours per day. That way we'll have time and not be in a rush and I won't get burned out too quickly. It should end up being somewhere around 1,000-1,200 miles total, which should do nicely to break in the new car.

So that's where I am now, everything about the car itself should be mostly wrapped up at this point other than some boring details. So I'll keep this updated as I progress on the tourist delivery plans.

No comments: